Wikipedia

Search results

Monday, July 27, 2015

W6A1 - Building Base Knowledge (Genres) - I chose the Mystery Readers International website to follow since... well, who doesn't love a good mystery?!  Unfortunately, this site seems to be more of a reference site for "where to find" things across the country, like reading groups at different libraries/venues, locations for mystery bookstores across the US, and places to get different mystery periodicals.  The Mystery Readers' Journal (blogger Janet's publication?) can be ordered from the site, but only two articles from each journal are viewable for free, so it's not very practical for a non-member.  Other than the excerpts from the journal, I haven't found any real reviews for books on the site.  Janet Rudolph apparently loves chocolate so there's a link to everything chocolate and books.  Nice, but ehh...  You can also find winners of the Macavity Award for mystery books, but you can't click on each book title and see more about it.  You would have to type each book into google, or wherever, to learn more about it.  Not helpful.  There's a link to Janet's "Mystery on the Menu" tour group that travels through California and nearby cities to perform, so that wouldn't be useful for the other 95% of the US.  So I have to be honest - I'm not sure why this site was chosen for Be More Bookish.  I don't think I would ever use it.  If I needed the location of local book clubs, or bookstores, or periodicals, I could find them easily with a quick google search.  ...and of course, I have to add that the site's just visually unappealing:).  P.S. - Janet started the blog in 1989, and I don't think she's ever updated the look of the website.  There has to be a better mystery book website out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment